Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) is the business response to the sustainable development challenge and the way in which it manages its processes to produce an overall positive impact on its employees and their families as well as that of the local community and society at large. Our business is people and property. As people in the property business, we strive to be trusted business partners and by being responsible, we help to create that trust.
Partnership underpins our firm and our values. We believe that the successful long-term future of our business can only be achieved by working collaboratively with our stakeholders and in their interests: clients – whether they are building occupiers, developers or investors – employees, suppliers, NGOs, the media, Government and the wider community.
We understand that our business activities impact on the environment, society and economy directly and indirectly; directly in the way we run our own business and indirectly in the property advice we give to clients.
Cushman & Wakefield (C&W) is committed to managing CSR as an employer, prospective employer and professional service provider to its clients. Under this policy, C&W will adopt operating principles which will provide guidance on:
- environmental sustainability
- social & community objectives
- ethical issues
- our people commitment and business relationships
Our vision is based on a fundamental belief that by embracing the sustainability agenda and by helping clients implement sustainability strategies that reduce cost and generate value, our own business will become more sustainable, grow stronger and thrive.
We recognize our responsibility to our clients and the communities within which we operate, both present and future. We are committed to help secure a better, more sustainable future for all through the advice that we provide and the example that we set. Our direction:
- We will work with our clients to pursue, promote and develop sustainable business outcomes.
- We will set a strategy and reporting procedures that will ensure continual improvement of our sustainability performance.
- We will ensure that our staff are involved in the implementation of this policy and have a comprehensive understanding of Sustainability and climate change and how this affects property.
- We will be an advocate for sustainability in the wider business community by actively engaging with our suppliers and business partners to develop the values and approaches that will help to deliver a more sustainable society.
Social & Community Objectives (‘Giving Something Back’)
We are committed to the communities in which we live and work. We understand the impacts we create on the local community in the everyday running of our business. Our direction:
- Schools Around the World (SATW) is our own registered charity which exists to increase the aspirations of young people worldwide. By partnering with schools wherever C&W operates around the world, SATW aims to help widen the horizons of young people (11-25 year olds) whose opportunities are limited by their domestic, social or financial circumstances. SATW aims to give these young people opportunities for improved education, help nurture their aspirations and promote their personal growth.
- We will continue to encourage those employees who like to involve themselves in public and charitable service.
- We will continue to give our time and expertise for free to local community groups and voluntary organisations.
- We will aim to build long-term relationships with our suppliers and support small and local businesses.
- In our charitable giving we aim to work together with charities and create a partnership that is in tune with our business values.
C&W is committed to achieving and maintaining the highest standards of ethical conduct and institutional integrity. Our firm seeks to comply with all laws and regulations, accounting standards, and ethical guidelines. We abide by a set of global values and our foremost standards of conduct are integrity and respect, collaboration and trust. Our direction:
- A Code of Business Conduct whereby our employees are expected to follow a high standard of behavior at all times, both professionally and personally.
- The creation of the C&W Ethics Help Line where employees are encouraged to report any concerns they may have about unethical, dishonest, unsafe or inappropriate behavior in the workplace.
- A zero tolerance approach to harassment or unwanted behavior or conduct that a recipient finds intimidating, upsetting, embarrassing, humiliating or offensive, or that violates a person’s dignity. We actively promote a culture in which harassment is known to be unacceptable and where employees are confident they may make a complaint without fear of ridicule or reprisal.
‘Partnership’ captures the true spirit of our organization. In our relationships with clients, with each other, with suppliers and business partners, integrity is our foremost standard of conduct; we strive to treat all stakeholders with respect and dignity. We strive to find solutions by looking at the issues together. Our direction:
- People are the bedrock of our business and we encourage lifelong learning throughout the firm. We extend this ethos to our relationships with clients and will continue to do so.
- We will respect our people and encourage their development and training. C&W has been awarded Investors in People (UK) since 1996.
- We aim to be a firm that is fully supportive of a diverse workforce including both gender and ethnicity. We will continue to promote equality and diversity and always consider the health and wellbeing and the work-life balance of our people.
- We aim to empower our people; we will consult and provide two-way communication for all matters right across the firm.
- We will recognize individual contributions and reward our people fairly. Our aim is to offer our people a full and satisfying career so they can be the ultimate professionals in Global Real Estate.
The policies that help to underpin and support our Corporate Social Responsibility Policy are:
- Sustainability strategy
- Diversity policy
- Equal employment opportunities policy
- Flexible working policy
- Anti-harassment policy
- Maternity, paternity, adoption & parental leave